In this episode, I talk with David Schurman, co-founder and CTO of Perennial, about their verification platform for climate-smart agriculture. Perennial uses geospatial data and machine learning to unlock agricultural soils as the world’s largest carbon sink.
- How Perennial gathers and annotates training data from satellites and ground-based observations.
- Handling variations across satellites and geographic locations.
- Stratifying training data across the kinds of variables that matter.
- Collaboration between machine learning engineers, remote sensing scientists, and crop scientists.
- The importance of gathering more training data than you think you’ll need.
- Respecting the data.
- The nuance of communicating performance metrics.