In this episode, I talk with David Golan, co-founder and CTO of Viz.ai, about diagnosis of acute and emergent diseases. Viz.ai increases the speed of diagnosis and care for a variety of conditions to improve the lives of patients.
- Increasing access to lifesaving treatments.
- The importance of the full system, not just the machine learning component, in accelerating workflows.
- Their clinical AI team includes med students, MDs, biomedical engineers, and neuropsychologists.
- Bias can be created by a lower performance on a subset of the population in a way that is unknown to developers, users, and clinicians.
- Careful monitoring of algorithms to identify subsets of data with poor performance.
- Unbiased collection and stratification of data for FDA submission.
- The importance of good annotation and monitoring infrastructure.
- Relatively simple model architectures can take you a long way.